Friday, March 16, 2012

I Quit Smoking Yesterday

That's right. On March 14th at 11:59pm I finished my last cigarette. I have not had a single cigarette, drag, puff or whatever since that time. As of this writing, its been 35 hours.
Do I hear you say, "Big deal"? "Who cares"? "Anyone can quite smoking.......... "
Great!!
Then if you are a smoker, quit. Right now.
But wait!!

Interested in how the first 35 hours looks and feels without nicotine???

Let me tell, you its not been easy.
I went to the gym yesterday morning per usual only this time I had not had a cigarette prior to going. My previous routine was wake up and have a coffee and cig. Been doing that for more than 2 decades now.

I didn't post yesterday because I was having trouble focusing. Its hard to describe in words how I was feeling without nicotine. I was restless. My mind wandered constantly. I couldn't focus. I couldn't complete a single thought. I felt like I was under the influence, spaced out...... I felt slightly irritable and very impatient. Still do today.

I ended up falling asleep around 8pm last night. Sleeping was a relief from the cravings I was fighting with all day long.

When I first awoke this morning, I thought things would be easier. So far they are, but the difference is very slight. The only thing that may be slightly easier today is that I seem to have more control over my mental focus. Though that comes and goes.
Coping mechanisms:  I've been using lollipops as a substitute for the cigarette. Sounds bizarre, but its helping a bit. Had a weird experience a few times now during "having a lollipop". I started to grab the candy stick as if I was grabbing the cigarette from my mouth. Even tried to take a drag once. Bizarre. The habit of smoking had become so ingrained in my everyday routine that it had become an unconcious activity. I was probably unaware of the repetition of my smoking. Like tying my shoes. Or brushing my teeth. Except that I was repeating the ritual of having a cigarette once every 40-60 mins per day. It was an unconcious habit that had been deeply ingrained in my automatic behaviour that I carried out every day.

No wonder my brain is feeling buzzed and my body is confused.
I wonder how long this feeling of confusion will last.

I will up date you on Monday how I managed the weekend.
until then, don't sweat the small stuff

No comments: