Monday, March 26, 2012

My Wishlist for Fitness Clubs

So my last post reviewed some items that are required and recommended for fitness clubs in Canada. Now I'd like to tell you about my wish list for fitness facilities. My "dream" fitness club, if you will.
First lets discuss briefly some aesthetics. Nice bright natural light coming from large windows and skylight(s). Large, open, airy main gym area. Brightly lit boxing studio with several different sized bags, including a speed bag. A quiet area with a padded floor for cool-down stretching. Equipment that is fully functional, clean and well maintained (so that you don't have to stop your workout partway thru because the treadmill you chose sounds like a walrus in labour!!)
Everything, all the floors, equipment, changerooms, washrooms, showers, everything everywhere is clean, clean, clean!!!! (there is a full time staff member(s) ensuring this is taken care of)    
This picture is actually a scene from a gym at a resort in Portofino. Not likely it is used very often. Probably not too many people will workout while on vacation. However, I would be one of the few. I did get to the gym while on vacation last year, three times during the week I was away.
What I like best about this picture is the bright atmosphere and the great view from the treadmills. How awesome is that?? I'm also a sucker for the woodwork, it gives the interior a warm and inviting appeal. But, it is also costly and not a top priority on my wish list.
Another awesome feature I'd love to see at my gym is one or two staff members who "float" the gym. Their job is to assist members when necessary. (if a member seems to be puzzled about how to use some equipment, or maybe they are using something incorrectly) They would also be able to see when an area needs to be cleaned, towels need to be replaced, cleaning fluid topped up. In addition to all that, they could also recommend personal training sessions to members throughout the day. Yes, why not offer services to existing members??? 
So many companies, not just fitness companies, offer "introductory" services and features to draw in new customers/members. Then, once a customer/member is signed up, the sales dept moves on to the next new customer/member. Hmmmmmm..........hey, what about customer retention?? Why not try to keep your current members happy by continuing to offer them services that will enhance their experience at the gym???
Happy members = more happy members
Remember???

Anyway, that's just my opinion...............
Here is my wish list, in list-able format:

My Dream Fitness Club is:

1) CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN facilities
2) Fully operational equipment and changeroom facilities  
3) Open early or 24 hours
4) Nice, clean, quiet boxing studio
5) Quiet area with padded floor for cool-down stretching
6) Staff available in the main gym to assist with questions about equipment, exercises etc
7) Comfortable facility temperature and ventilation system




No comments: