Monday, March 5, 2012

Todays Work-Out update

So as mentioned, I've been a gym guru now for about 2 years. I started with 30mins of boxing activities and exercises, and this winter I've added 20mins of weight machines and 30-40mins of cardio on the treadmill.
I've been doing the cardio for about 5 weeks now and I really expected to see more results than what I see. My belly is still jelly. Not happy about that. Maybe it takes longer?? I dunno really. I'm going to do some internet research later today and post my findings. Maybe theres something I'm missing.
I'm also considering booking more personal training sessions to kick-start my new work-out routine. The idea being that a professional will probably know what I need to do to get the results I want. I will let you know how that works out, when I decided to take this step.
So today I went to the Upper Wentworth Premier gym. I wanted to try out their boxing studio as I have not done this previously. I got the key at the front desk. It was attached to a 3 foot wooden plank, a 1X6 I think would be the term. LOL!!
I dragged it upstairs and got access to the studio. The studio is packed with lots of bags, all various sizes. They had a generous supply of gloves, I have my own so I didn't need to use theirs. In the center back of the studio is a small boxing ring, kinda cool, but not something I would use. I could never actually hit anyone, I just like the feeling of tension release when hitting the bag during a workout. One thing missing was a speed bag.
After about 20mins in the boxing studio, I locked up and brought the planked key back to the desk. I decided to try an eliptical. I'd never tried these before. I spent 5 mins on this. I found it felt odd to have my arms moving strangely while my feet were seeming to climb upwards. I could really feel my upper thighs start to burn so I kept it to a modest 5 min trial.
After the eliptical, I went over to the treadmills and did my usual 30mins.
One thing I've noticed since going to the gym, is that only a small percentage of members warm down or stretch after their workout. As I was a competitive figure skater in my youth, I was taught early on the importance of a proper warm down and stretch after each training session. Stretching after a workout is especially good, because the muscles are warm and will respond to a nice slow stretch. This lengthens the muscle and when you cool down, you don't feel knotted and sore. I usually spend a good 10 mins stretching my arms, legs and back after my workout.
Tomorrow,  I may check out another gym and post my findings here for you.
Until then, don't sweat the small stuff!

No comments: