Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Phoenix Fitness - Hamilton

Hamiltonians sure are lucky. We have alot of choice when it comes to choosing a gym membership. Today I was fortunate to visit two locations of Phoenix Fitness One is in Ancaster and the other is in Stoney Creek.
According to my research Phoenix Fitness was established in 1984. This is the only gym I have visited in two years that was completely up front about their fees right from the start. They're even posted on their web site! I found a couple web sites for Phoenix Fitness, both seem to have the same information.
The facility in Ancaster is quite small, however; the gym was bright and airy. The equipment was well maintained and the gym and changeroom areas were very clean.
The facility in Stoney Creek was about 4 times larger, was also bright and airy and very clean and well maintained.
Customer Service
I received excellent and friendly service at both locations. The staff at the front desk were both very knowledgeable about they gym, the various services and explained briefly the fee schedule.
Staff
At the Ancaster location I saw only one staff member at 7:30am this morning. He was incredibly friendly and helpful and was very enthusiastic about Phoenix Fitness. In Stoney Creek there was one woman at the front desk who was also very enthusiastic and helpful.
Changerooms
The changerooms are very basic. Members are provided with showers and lockers. Again I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the changeroom. 
Classes
I was given a class schedule at both locations. They were easily available right at the front desk and also are online. The variety of classes is pretty impressive. For me, its like looking at a buffet table; I will probably have to sample a bit of each one before I can decide which one(s) I like best.  
Personal Trainers
I did not see any PT's however I was at these locations pretty darn early. I did ask about personal trainers and was told that there were several available. You could book single sessions or purchase packages of 12 or more sessions. 
Hours & Parking
The Ancaster location is open:
Mon - Thurs
Fri
Sat
Sun
5:30am - 10pm
5am - 9pm
7am - 6pm
7am - 5pm
Parking is shared at this location Staples and a few other stores in the plaza.

The Stoney Creek location is open: 
Mon - Thurs
Fri
Sat
Sun
5:30am - 9:30pm
5:30am - 9pm
7am - 6pm
7am - 5pm
Parking here is also shared with other stores in the plaza. The only suggestion I have for this location is to get a more prominent sign that can be seen on Hwy 20. The building is actually behind several taller establishments and cannot been seen very well from the road.
 
Special Features
Phoenix Fitness does not have any "fancy" features like saunas and lap pools or running tracks. However, my first impression of this club is that they're emphasis is on making sure the members are happy with the gym and happy with their workouts. That, I would say, is a special feature. They also have a boxing area, which is very cool.
In addition, child care is included in the cost of membership, members have access to all three locations (Dundas, Ancaster and Stoney Creek). Memberships are pay-as-you-go, which means no contracts. Another cool thing they offer, is they will pause your membership if you are out of town or unable to use the gym for whatever reason. During the "pause" you are not charged fees. Very nice!
Overall
Overall, my first impression of both locations is favourable. I was unable to actually workout today, but I plan to go in on the weekend and try out the equipment. I suppose some people prefer a larger gym establishment just like they might prefer a "big box" store. While others prefer a smaller gym, a local establishment. These people often prefer to support local companies and small businesses. There are pro's and con's to both. So you would have to try it out to see whether you like it or not. It costs nothing to "try it on".  

As always, I welcome all comments, suggestions and ideas
don't sweat the small stuff

No comments: