Thursday, April 26, 2012

My New Gym: Revealed

I promised you that I would reveal the name of the gym that I joined recently. I promised I would reveal the name by the end of this month. So far, I've been keeping my promises, and I intend to continue to do so in the name of fitness.
BUT before I name names first I should explain some of my findings during my journey to finding my new gym.
As you know, I investigated several local gyms over the past two months. These included past versions of Premier Fitness, GoodLife Fitness, Phoenix Fitness in Stoney Creek and Phoenix Fitness in Ancaster, Century Fitness Upper James and Century Fitness Upper Wentworth. I did not visit Curves for Women. I start my investigations by checking out the company online and Curves did not appeal to what I was looking for in a gym. Not to say that they likely do appeal to some women who are looking for a gym.
Overall, I found most of the gyms offered pretty much the same sort of programs and equipment. All of them had the standard gym equipment; treadmills, ellipticals etc. All of them had a studio space which offered group classes. All of them had shower facilities (although some of the facilities were more modern and high-end looking than others). All of them had a service desk at the front door where you were greeted by customer service staff.
My choice ultimately came down to the things I wanted most in my gym:
(see my post from March 26th for the full article)
1) CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN facilities
2) Fully operational equipment and changeroom facilities
3) Open early or 24 hours
4) Nice, clean, quiet boxing studio
5) Quiet area with padded floor for cool-down stretching
6) Staff available in the main gym to assist with questions about equipment, exercises etc
7) Comfortable facility temperature and ventilation system


One very very important item that I failed to list is EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE. I need to mention this because ultimately that was the key element that convinced me to sign up for the gym I am at now.
The gym I am at now offers all of the things listed in my list at two locations in the Hamilton area. I can choose to go to either gym anytime I wish. One of the gyms offers the boxing studio area along with group and individual classes. This same location is open 24 hrs. The gym I signed with has excellent customer service and is located a bit closer to my home.
Thank you Century Fitness.
I am quite happy with my choice so far. And I'm glad that this establishment survived the corporate troubles of Premier. From what I have seen, the members are quite happy at this gym and are very supportive and loyal. The staff are excellent which for me makes all the difference.
until next time; don't sweat the small stuff

1 comment:

albina N muro said...

professional & collegiate sports teams to government agencies and health clubs, our fitness equipment manufacturers helps athletes and average folks get stronger & fitter.