Tuesday, April 3, 2012

New Gym Challenge - Update

Today for my workout I went back to a familiar stomping ground. After writing and reading an re-reading my post from yesterday and the previous day, I decided that I just did not feel comfortable at Phoenix Fitness. Its hard to say why. Maybe its because I am used to a much larger facility. It could be that I was simply uncomfortable in unfamiliar surroundings. Or it could be the lack of experience with the older weight machines they provided.

Most likely its a combination of a few things. I was a bit taken back by the higher membership fees. While they did provide pricing right up front from the very start, it also seemed that there was no wiggle room, no negotiation on the fees and the services. I did express that I wanted some personal training sessions. I was told these were available for a range of $65-75 per session. I was not offered a membership price that included sessions. These were simply an add-on.

Another thing that caused me to question the club, happened on the weekend. One location told me that all three locations offered the same deals and that once you were a member you could access any location any time. Another location told me they were not aware of a weekly trial pass that the other location was offering and she did not want to honor the pass. She said, well I see that you will be upset if I don't honor the pass so I will let it go this time. Hmmmph!

For this one small reason, I implore my readers to be certain to always try out a gym for a week BEFORE signing anything!!!!! You cannot possibly make a decision based on one visit at one location. Take the time to check out all the locations included in your membership. ASK for what you WANT!!

If you want personal training sessions, ask for them. The gym should then offer you at least an introductory deal including personal training. That's the same for anything else you might want such as daycare, multiple locations, group classes, nutrition coaching, specialized training or workouts (boxing, MMA, Nia etc)
IF YOU DON'T ASK, YOU WON'T GET IT!!

Simple!

So bottom line now for me, I have crossed off Phoenix from my list of possible gyms.
I shall keep you posted on my next trial.

until then, don't sweat the small stuff!! 

No comments: