Thursday, March 1, 2012

Premier Fitness/PhysioMed Fitness Upper Wentworth Hamilton

As most of you have already heard or read, Premier Fitness/Physiomed Fitness is currently undergoing some structural problems. However that being said, its not my purpose to comment on the organizations but rather on the services they provide.
As a member of this club I have been able to experience many aspects of their services.
Here is a quick run-down of this particular facility which is located on Upper Wentworth Street Hamilton. Click here to view a map of the facilities
Customer Service
My first visit to this location was about three weeks ago. There was one person at the front desk who greeted me and helped me scan my new bar coded member card. On my second visit, I asked about the boxing studio. She advised me that I would need a key to use the studio and I could get the key here at the front desk. She was friendly and helpful.
Staff
After three weeks of visiting this location, I have not seen alot of staff. At most, there have been two people at the very large and expansive front desk. Inside the gym, I saw two trainers. I usually visit early in the morning, between 8am and 10am. I saw one class in session on one of the days I was there. Oddly, much unlike the Brant Street location, this facility did not have any literature at the front desk.
Changerooms
The changerooms are large and well lit. The overall appearance is one of a more upscale styling. The washroom stalls have large wooden doors. The shower area needs some TLC. One of the stalls has been noted out of order for some time now. I tried to use the neighbouring stall but was unable to get any hot water at all. My second choice had hot water but needed a good scrubbing. The saunas looked nice, but I have not seen anyone use them yet.  
Classes
The aerobic studio is upstairs adjacent to the main gym. Its very nice in appearance. Well lit and somewhat clean. It seems to be under utilized as I have only seen one class in session in the morning during the three weeks I have been going to this location. The main gym has no specified stretch area and I've noticed many members use the empty aerobic studio for this purpose.
Personal Trainers
Again, I have only seen a couple personal trainers in the main gym. They do not stand out from the other gym members on first glance.
Hours & Parking
This location is open:
24 hrs 7 days per week
Parking is not shared at this location, they have their own lot for members. My early morning visits always find plenty of spaces available.
Special Features
Just beyond the vast front desk, there is a lap pool at this location. The pool seems nice, has two lanes and I have seen a few members using this feature. The women's only area, which is located directly off of the women's changeroom is very small, very dark, and very crowded with machines. The ceiling is low and gives the appearance of working out in your basement. I choose not to use this part of the gym. The main gym is very bright, and has a nice window filling the entire front wall of the building. The boxing studio has a boxing ring; mini-sized. Overall, the studio is small and seems packed with way too many bags. Unfortunately, this location keeps the boxing studio locked so its virtually inaccessible unless you've asked for the key at the front desk upon arrival. 
Overall
Overall, I really like the atmosphere in the main gym area at this location. There are plenty of treadmills and ellipticals available and a wide variety of weight machines. Maybe a bit more staff presence in the gym would be helpful to members. And a bit more cleanliness in the changerooms/showers.  

As always, I welcome all comments, suggestions and ideas

don't sweat the small stuff

No comments: