Thursday, March 1, 2012

GoodLife Fitness Upper James St Hamilton

I have visited this location only once in the past month. I will update my review with additional insights when I have visited a few more times. In the meantime, below are my initial impressions of GoodLife Fitness at Upper James Street in Hamilton.
Customer Service
The front desk staff were very friendly when I first arrived. I explained that I wanted to try out the gym and they asked me to wait while they found a representative to meet with me. I waited about 5 mins. The young man I spoke with was very candid and well spoken. He was very knowledgeable about the services and facilities at Goodlife. After the initial introduction he gave me a quick tour of the facilities.
Staff
The staff at this location are very friendly. The front desk had 2 or 3 people attending. The office seemed a bit bare, with only one person attending. I saw a couple staff in the main gym area although they did blend in with everyone else. As a new visitor I wasn't sure where to find everything, and unfortunately could not find anyone to ask either. 
Changerooms
The women's changerooms seemed very small and cramped, considering the size of the gym itself. Open lockers were a challenge to find on a Saturday afternoon. Perhaps I was there during the busy time!
Classes
I personally have not attended a class here yet. I will update this portion when I have experienced a class. However, I have noted that class schedules are posted and handouts are available at the front desk. There was no class running while I was there that day.
Personal Trainers
I saw a couple personal trainers in the main gym area. They were hard to recognize as they did not stand out from the other gym members.
Hours & Parking
Open Close
Monday 5:00 AM 11:59 PM
Tuesday 12:00 AM 11:59 PM
Wednesday 12:00 AM 11:59 PM
Thursday 12:00 AM 11:59 PM
Friday 12:00 AM 10:00 PM
Saturday 7:00 AM 6:00 PM
Sunday 7:00 AM 6:00 PM
I found the hours puzzling. Since it seemed they were busiest on the weekend, staying open longer during those days made more sense to me.
This location shares parking with many other retailers. You can park in the front of the plaza, which also has Zellers and Fortinos OR you can park in behind, which is shared with the Mandarin.
Special Features
The aerobics room was upstairs, away from the main gym area. This location does not offer a women's only section. They do have an area for boxing, its about 10' X 10' around a very old and well-worn bag. Just one single bag. I was unable to find any skipping ropes.
They also have a stretch area centrally located in the main gym. Daycare services are available at the front desk area.   
Overall
 Overall, this location was fair. It could be a personal preference, but I disliked how the gym was basically just one big open room. I found the lighting very dark. Surprisingly, this location was extremely busy while I was there on a Saturday afternoon. It was tough to get access to some of the weight machines, although they have dozens of treadmills and elliptical. There seemed to be an open area at the front just beyond the desk that was not utilized. I would be willing to go back to this location and check it out a bit more.    

As always, I welcome all comments, suggestions and ideas

don't sweat the small stuff

No comments: