Monday, March 5, 2012

Premier Fitness/PhysioMed Upper James Hamilton

I visited the Upper James facility on Friday last week. Again I was there around 8am.  Click here to view a map of the facilities
Please note this map indicates a pool, in actuality the area shown as the pool is the womens only and aerobics area.
Customer Service
When I arrived I noticed no one was attending the front desk. Again, this desk is quite expansive. I used the card scanner for my card and when thru the gate.
Staff
There was a staff member in the womens changeroom. She was cleaning and said good morning to me as I entered. When I went upstairs to the main gym I found three personal trainers busy with sessions. I checked again on the front desk, and now there were two staff members attending. Overall, everyone seemed very happy to be there.  
Changerooms
The changerooms at this location are very cool. Although I didn't like the lockers themselves as they were outdated, many were dented and in need of repainting. The changeroom itself was really nice. Lots of mirrors. Lots of privacy with the locker areas divided into nooks. The washroom facilities were totally cool! Each was its own room with sink and toilet. The showers had a public-type area, similar to most other gyms I've been in, but there were also about 4 private shower rooms. Each room had a sink, toilet and shower. This type of setup allows for total privacy. For those of you who are shy about changing and showering in a public facility, this type of setup is ideal. Overall, the changerooms were quite clean.   
Classes
The aerobic studio is part of the womens only area and is adjacent to the womens changeroom. I used this area to warm up. I found the floor in the studio was a bit gritty, the floor itself needed a re-finishing done to it. There was not a class running while I was there and I did not see any schedules posted. 
Personal Trainers
As mentioned earlier, there were 3 PT at this gym at 8am on a Friday. Kudos to them!! They seemed to have a good repoire with their clients and were totally focused on their job.
Hours & Parking
This location is open:
Mon - Thurs
Fri
Sat
Sun
5am - 11pm
5am - 10pm
8am - 6pm
8am - 6pm
Parking is shared at this location. I could see the building from Upper James street, it is inset quite a ways back from United Furniture Warehouse and Eastside Marios. You will need to enter at the Furniture Warehouse entrance and follow the driveway all the way to the back to find the building and parking. There is also parking further behind the building.
Special Features
I did not see any unique features at this location, no pool and no boxing studio. However, the changerooms did have individual sauna rooms. Another feature which I have only seen at this location thus far is that the aerobic machines; treadmills and elipticals are high-end equipment each sporting its own TV screen which you can watch programs or listen to music. There was a place to plug in headphones if desired. Some members will probably appreciate this type of added feature. I might be weird in that I actually like to look around a bit while I'm on the treadmill, and found the screens were in the way. But thats just me!   
Overall
Overall, my first impression of this location was favourable. I felt the gym was well kept and provided some unique and personal features that would appeal to many members. The equipment seemed to be well maintained, something that I am finding many gyms are not so good at. The atmosphere was bright and airy. Again the large windows at the front of the building are great for allowing in natural light and giving the gym a bright glow.
I would definitely go back to this gym again. 
As always, I welcome all comments, suggestions and ideas
don't sweat the small stuff

No comments: