Friday, May 11, 2012

Todays Workout and Fitness Update

Well, it certainly is a beautiful Friday morning in May here in Hamilton. My workout this morning combined 30 mins of cardio with 30 mins of abdominal work  and some weight training. I've been getting alot of positive remarks lately on how I look. Everything from; "your skin looks so good since you've quit smoking", to "I hardly even recognize you, you look great, what are you doing different?".
Its nice to get positive feedback. I am incredibly self-critical, so hearing great things from people around me tends to cut through my own self-talk and brighten things up. I think one of the unexpected perks of exercising regularly and eating healthy is that even when things are worry-some or troubled in your life, you are able to manage the challenges more easily. I think that the reason for this is because exercise and healthy eating help to stabilize your body; sort of a buffer-zone to stressful events that occur in your life. The discipline, energy and determination that you "exercise" while exercising all overflow into your day to day life.
Its tough to describe completely, but if you are someone who has made healthy diet and exercise a regular part of your life, you know what I mean.
Next week, I plan on posting some updates on my Belly Fat challenge, including pictures. Yes, the dreaded pictures!!! But I think that the progress I've made is truly noticeable now.
Reality Check:
I just want to say one big thing about the hype you read and hear about diet and exercise. There are so many different products out there from miracle teas and pills to exercise machines that guarantee results!! All of these products have one thing in common: they promise huge results quickly. 
Seriously; do you, as a human being and informed consumer really think that in just 3 weeks all your fat will melt away like magic?????????????????????????
Think about it logically. Did it take three weeks for you to gain those 50lbs??? Probably not. I know when I was expecting my first child, I gained 80lbs over a 40 week period. It took me more than 10 years to lose the first 50lbs.(without trying)  The other 30 I only started losing since I adopted my exercise program two years ago. Of course, some people may have a quicker metabolism. But NO ONE has a metabolism that can burn 20lbs in 3wks. You would have to work out 10hours a day every day and diet like there's no tomorrow.  Definitely a very unhealthy way to lose weight.  
The hard truth is that achieving good health requires commitment. You need to commit time and effort. And you need to be determined to stick to it. A health program that helps you to lose weight, tone muscle, and eat healthy requires a lifetime commitment. Once you have achieved your goal (whatever you think is your "ideal" body/health) then you need to continue with the healthy lifestyle to maintain your health. Its not temporary. Its not a quick fix then-I-can-go-back-to-eating-burgers-and-fries-and-1000-calorie-shakes thing.  Its a new lifestyle. That means "for life". Embrace it. And Enjoy it.    

Until next time; don't sweat the small stuff...

No comments: